Work In Freedom-Community Intervention for Women Empowerment & Prevention of Labor Trafficking In Nepal
Budget not available
Currently runing on Dolakha: Boach, Lakuridada, Bhimeshwor, Laduk, Lapilang, Suri, Suspa, Jiri, Mali, Thulopatal, Kabre, Melung, Katakuti, Magapauwa, Vedapu Chitwan: Bharatpur, Meghouli, Sukranagar, Shaktikhor, Padampur
Background of the project
Community based interventions under the Work in Freedom Programme is aimed at identifying potential migrants in places of origin and providing information that can assist in informed decision making about whether to migrate and how to migrate safer. WiF programme is taking target action to identify women desiring to migrate, and the target group/needy beneficiaries for disseminating information/ sensitize people in grass root level and empower women migrant workers with development of marketable skills and additional support for establishment and run business to uplift their economic status and increase women’s employment options. The project will support to create opportunities for sustainable income generation activities through establishment of small business, ultimately helping the beneficiaries breaking free from the vicious cycle of re-migration and reduce risk of being exploitative/ trafficked. In response to mounting evidence of abuse of women migrant workers and growing concerns among key stakeholders, POURAKHI Nepal in partnership with the ILO will take targeted action to empower women migrant workers at Dolakha and Chitwan through WiF interventions. The objectives to contribute to the overall outcome of the Work in Freedom programme are as follows:
- Strengthen the capacity of women and girls to understand their rights and assert them during their migration and work abroad.
- Strengthen capacity of project staff community workers and key stakeholders to deliver and monitor project interventions
- Empower potential women migrant workers with knowledge and support services on safe migration channels, skills training, rights and responsibilities at work, and how to avoid being trafficked
- Strengthen coordination and advocacy mechanisms at local to national level for prevention of trafficking
- Improve access to available support services for potential/returnee women and girls migrant workers through referral mechanisms in place
- Dolakha District-2 Municipalities-Bhimeshwor and Jiri and 11 VDCs-Boach, Lakuridada, Magapauwa, Katakuti, Melung, Vedapu, Kabre, Suspakshyamawoti, Lapilang, Laduk and Suri
- Chitwan District -3 Municipalities-Kalika Municipality-Jutpani, Padampur and Shaktikhor, Narayani Municipality -Meghauli and Sukranagar and Bharatpur Sub-metropolitan city
- Whole Nepal by covering Advocacy programs
- 1. Direct Beneficiary/Group
a. Where 12,000 community people and women migrant workers will be benefit through orientation sessions and village level Information of interventions.
b. More than 375 potential women migrant workers received decision making training on foreign employment. 2200 women migrants will benefit direct advisory and information on labour migration from Migrant Resource Center.
c. 60 returnee migrants will be supported for income generating activities.
- 2. Indirect Target Group/Beneficiary