Electric Rickshaw (e-rickshaw) Services by Excluded Women for Women
POURAKHI Nepal is implementing a pilot project “Electric Rickshaw (e-rickshaw) Services by Excluded Women for Women” which an innovative business model for excluded women by introducing e-rickshaw service by women for women. This project is supported by UN Women. POURAKHI Nepal is enthusiastic to support marginalized women migrant workers to break into the male-dominated field of e-rickshaw driving. E-Rickshaw driving training is a cutting-edge solution with several added benefits for Nepal. First, among the many secondary beneficiaries will be the female passengers, who currently suffer from a greater risk of sexual harassment in public transport-a risk that limits many women’s freedom of mobility, decent employment in opportunities, and access to education. In addition, we will work with e-rickshaws that harness the power of green energy in order to benefit all of Nepal through reduced air pollution and greater fuel efficiency.
Objectives of the project:
- · To contribute to safer and cleaner public spaces in Nepal by promoting the use of more environmentally friendly e-rickshaws run by women
- Train 60-70 (approximately 10-14 in each program districts) returnee women migrant workers as e-rickshaw drivers
- Provide business start-up support through seed money for purchasing an e-rickshaw after the successful completion of the training and,
- Provide referral and technical support for their registration as e-rickshaw drivers.
This project will cover up to five districts:
- A total of 60-70 returnee women migrant workers received driving skills trainings from a certified driving company
- At least 70 per cent of the training participants are able to obtain a driving license,
- At least 70 per cent of the training participants registered themselves as e-rickshaw driver